About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Say Goodnight, Kathy

I decided in October of this year that I would retire from teaching high school English at the end of the school year, so this has been a year of 'lasts' -- ("this is the last time I'll read college essays, these are my last parent conferences, this is the last bottle of hand sanitizer I'll go through....")-- and here I am at the end. School ends on the 20th of June -- it would have ended sooner except for the five snow days we are now making up. My retirement party was two weeks ago and was wonderful-- lots of laughing--lots of stories--all at my expense, but told by people I really love and who do love me as well. Actually it was much like being at one's own wake except people weren't saying, "She looks so natural."

And if the party was like being at my own wake, these last two weeks are my descent into Hell. Two slower moving weeks have NEVER transpired. To make things worse, I must wear a boot (alternative to a cast) because of a torn Achilles tendon, so I walk around school clopping like the ubiquitous peg leg in a marine murder mystery. I give my last final tomorrow. I'll return to school on Monday to hand in my grades and my keys and for the faculty end of year luncheon--my last.

No comments: