About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Monday, October 6, 2008

"Pat the Bunny"? I don't think so.....

When I was a child and we were returning home at night, my dad would pull into the long driveway behind the rowhouses, flip on the high beams and go very slowly. Much to my delight , we would spot a few bunnies.
Who would have known that 50 years later, the little rodents would become my nemises. One of my greatest joys in life is my gardens. I have several perennial gardens replete with day lilies, shasta daisies, penstemon, oenthera, thread-leaf coreopsis, echinacea, astilbe, rudbeckia, and yarrow to name a few. Since perennials are a great source of texture, but not one of constant color, I fill in with annuals. I love "hot" colors: mixing purple with orange-red geraniums, rust colored miniature zinnias, lots of purple, red, and burgundy trailing verbenna, yellow and orange zinnias, red impatiens, tons of coleus. These gorgeous annuals fill about 30 terra cotta pots that are positioned on our steps, on our patio, and in the gardens as well. You know where this is going....fighting off deer is a problem, but rectified by two substances that I use: Treeguard, which is a latex solution and not water soluable, and Deer Scram (yes, this is the actual name). The former we spray about once a month; the latter we scatter as it's in powder form. The deer did the responsible thing and avoided our property altogether. The rabbits on the other hand (both substances are SUPPOSED to deter rabbits as well) have gotten brazen and to make things worse, they were living under our deck so not only were we feeding them, we were boarding them as well.
They feast on the impatiens and verbenna planted around borders, and actually get up into the pots and completely devastate the plantings. One day, standing on our porch overlooking the patio, I held our baby grand daughter, showing her my completely laden blueberry bush. Right before our eyes, a small rabbit jumped into the pot and proceeded to devour both berries and stalks. I was so shocked I couldn't even move. The baby was delighted. All I could say was, "Nonna Kathy's gonna get her a gun!" I bought blueberries this year; I had to.
Wouldn't you know that the baby's favorite book is Pat the Bunny. I'm writing my own sequel....

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Wonderful post Kathy! I'm so glad you're writing again. It's been a good gardening year for me. The moles didn't do too much damage and, the bunnies stay away, for some reason. I'm so sorry for your losses.

So, Pat the Bunny? That one can get old quickly.