About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

And now we can all wear white shoes!

We had a lovely Memorial weekend. Didn't do anything differently than most of the country: attended a block party in the neighborhood and a barbecue at the home of friends'. Let's just say I downed my 'meat rations' this weekend: something pretty unusual for me, a chicken/pasta/seafood girl. Our neighborhood is a small one with only 29 homes and is again going through the changes that cyclically take place in neighborhoods throughout the country as older couples move out, making way for younger families. I never thought that we'd be one of those 'older couples' with grown children, but here we are, happier than pigs in slop when the grand kids are here. But, it is pleasant to again hear children playing as they ride their bikes, and play hop scotch, and swing on swing sets. And it is more than pleasant to sit and chat with neighbors, catching up with old friends and meeting new families.
The husband, as I write, is off to LA and will return home tomorrow afternoon. Yes, I do mean Los Angeles and not Louisiana. He likes to keep these business jaunts short. Because he's away, I have had him pre-set every alarm clock in the house for 5:45 a.m. I have an appointment with the oncologist tomorrow ( for my normal checkup) at 8:30 and am afraid of 1) over-sleeping; and 2) Beltway traffic at that time of the morning. It's so hard to predict how traffic will be -- in the six years I've been seeing this doctor, I've sat in traffic for two hours; I have arrived on time -- to not find a parking space because of construction; arrived an hour early and had to sit in the medical center hallway until someone came to open the office, or a combination of all of the aforementioned. I'll probably leave tomorrow at 7:20. On a good day, it only takes about 20 minutes to get there. We'll see.

10 comments:

Jay said...

I don't know about being happy to hear kids running around and making all that noise.

That's a long round trip to make in just a day. Will he at least have time to hit In-N-Out Burger for a double-double?

Cheryl said...

Here's hoping for a great day all around...up on time, easy traffic and a great report. Let me know...

happyone said...

Good luck tomorrow! Hope the traffic cooperates and you get there with no hassles.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I hope your commute is easy and your appointment is entirely routine . . . and that you're not too lonely without your hubby.

Purple Flowers said...

Wishing you the best of luck w/your doc's appt.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Hope your checkup went well and that you arrived on time. Beltway traffic is a nightmare.

Glad you had an enjoyable weekend.

jane said...

hope all goes well tomorrow kathy. glad you had a lovely time. it does sound perfect.:)

Gilly said...

Hope all went well, and the traffic wasn't too bad!

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear kids playing outside! And above all, to hear your own grand kids having fun...
Hmmm, I wonder how your trip (the traffic) was...

Brad said...

I like the older established neighborhoods. The new ones all seem to be 4 or 5 home models all painted in 2 or 3 shades of beige.

BLEH!

Also the look of an established neighborhood with plants and trees is so much more appealing.

Unfortunatly I'm quickly turning into the old man yelling at kids to stay off my property!