About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Friday, May 29, 2009

It'll Look Better in the Morning

The sun peeks through periodically. We've had a lot of rain -- about 8" so far this month (according the the rain gauge in my yard) -- and the sun is a welcome, if not elusive, sight. It's interesting to me that even during the day the sun can better one's perspective.

When I was a girl, my mom always cautioned me when I was upset or began fretting about things at night. She maintained that everything would seem better in daylight. And she's right, at least from my point of view. Darkness limits my perspective and I tend to think in flat dimension at night. The morning brings clarity and additional vision - both literally and figuratively. And then when the sun shines, it's even better.

I'm trying to think of all the songs that agree with me -- "Let the Sunshine" (5th Dimension), "Sunshine on my Shoulder" (John Denver), "Ain't No Sunshine" (Jose Feliciano). Can you think of any? Do you have any thoughts on this subject?

I've been writing a lot about my roses and the evil, evil rabbits. Here are three photos.
Yellow David Austin Rose

Evil, evil vermin cute and cuddly Bunny nibbling outside his home--our steps!

Knockout Rose in Full Flush -- this photo does not do it justice

And finally, have a silly weekend!!!

6 comments:

Brad said...

Living in the Pac. NW you really feel the lack of sunlight. I know for me it effects my mood. Jan/Feb/March are the hardest months to get through. I've thought about geting one of those lights but I'm not quite that effected by it. I know others here that really are.

One of my favorite sayings is: "Make hay in the sunshine" but my natural inclinations to be a slacker is another subject.

Purple Flowers said...

"Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves - great song. I'll think of more tonight at 3:00am

I am affected by lack of sunlight to some degree. Aren't most people? It was dreary all day here,and finally at 2:15, the sun popped out,and I feel better.
Have a great wknd!
Your flowers are beautiful. Those David Austin's - so elegant.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Your roses are so pretty. You've had much more rain than we have - we've only had 3" this month.

Cloudy weather makes me lazy - I want to hibernate until the sun returns.

Your evil bunny is so cute!

Lena said...

"Sunshine, Lollipops, and Roses" by Leslie Gore.... showing my age now!

"You are my sunshine"

"We will sing in the sunshine"...Bobby Gentry... another oldie but goodie.

Here comes the sun... the Beatles..

Cheryl said...

And who knew this day would start with rain? Not me. It looks like the sun is shining now. Yes!

happyone said...

I started to leave a comment here Sat night when Debbi surprised me. So here I am back on Monday morning.
I too think things always have a way of looking better in the morning.
My favorite sunshine song is one that Lena mentioned,
You Are my Sunshine!!
The turtle might be disruptive to your garden but how cool to have turtle eggs!!