About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Lusty Month of May

I've said many times that May is my favorite month of the year: it is lush and green and full of hope. It is in May, I arrange and plant the many pots in my garden. It is in May I get to shop for all the annuals that will provide color through to the fall. It was in May that I was given a new beginning with my cancer as on the 29th I will celebrate my 'other' birthday -- the day of my surgery. See! May is looking more and more like the month of Thanksgiving! Come to think of it -- even my car looks like a cornucopia of gifts!

14 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh, fun, fun. I love a car full of plants. I do my shopping in May too, but later in the month. I was planning to do some gardening this week, but now I'm sick. Crud. (We went to a kids' birthday party last Sunday. Michael came down with a sore throat three days later. I caught it three days after that.)

Have fun playing in the dirt.

TAG said...

Great post. Happy "other birthday" to you later this month.

TAG

cri said...

Dear Kathy, happy birthday for your "other" birthday....
I'm happy that everything is going in the right way.
I love flowers and yours are very beautiful.
I love to create necklaces, bracelets, rings, with buttons, pearls and many other material. I've made all the creation that you see on my blog, and the caos is always on my desktop.... I love colours and caos too!!! Claudio isn't agree, but I need ispiration.... I use to sell my bijoux to my friends or sometimes in little fair. It's very funny.
Kathy, write your address and I will send you a necklace. What colour do you like???? It would be a present for your "other birthday" and a pleasure to me!!!
Kisses, Cristina

Purple Flowers said...

Your car looks so happy! You know how much fun you will have potting and planting. It's such a gift of life.
You're right, May is a great month! And especially because you have a real 'Happy Birthday' to be elated about. I am so glad!!

happyone said...

Ah a car load of color!
I'll have to come over to see you yard one of these days. :-)

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Your car is definitely dressed up for May. Looks like you are going to have fun playing in the dirt.
I'm so glad you have a special "other birthday" to celebrate this month. May really is a month of new beginnings.

Jay said...

I would probably kill those things in about one week. LOL ;-)

Gilly said...

Hace a very happy May! Weather a bit didgy here in the UK, but still, when the sun shines, May is gorgeous here! (I have known it snow, though!)

Lovely flowers, enjoy them!

Jamie said...

Happy OTHER birthday...there is none more appropriate than one like this.

I think the pics of your car are simply beautiful.

Happy Monday. Hugs.

jane said...

Hi Kathy. Just found you. I´m a Philly girl now living in Spain. I´m addicted to your blog. You make me smile... a lot. Un beso! Jane

Anonymous said...

Your comment on my 12hours drive cracked me up!! Thanks for the loooong laughter, XX.

I wish I could stash my car full with flowers over here. (Too expensive).

Carmela.

Brad said...

Three cheers and a toast to your other B-day - *clink* !!!!

Lena said...

Tra-la, It's May, the lusty month of May.. that lovely month where everyone goes blissfully astray! It's here, it's here....time for Kathy's other birthday!!!

I loved the Camelot soundtrack!

Yes, your car does look like a cornucopia of gifts!
Happy planting!!

Rick Rockhill said...

Kathy- I agree about May. In general, Spring is my favorite time of year hands-down. You are busy with all those flowers, I am jealous. I sometimes wish I had time to grow a vegetable garden, that would be my passion.