About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Monday, June 1, 2009

Muffuletta, Anyone?

When I told Richard he was having muffuletta for dinner last night, he got all happy -- and then realized it is just a sandwich. Well, not just a mere sandwich. These babies originated in New Orleans -- or at least were made famous there. Now that there are only two of us in our empty nest, it usually takes us about a week to finish one. But, it's a great week!!

Traditionally, it includes mortadella and other meats. We're not big meat eaters, but I do usually include very thinly sliced Italian salami.

1 cup of olive salad
(chopped Spanish and black olives (about a cup of each), chopped onion, oregano, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper)
8-10 slices of domestic provolone
8-10 slices of fresh mozzarella
8-10 slices of white American cheese, cut paper-thin
8 slices of genoa salami
1 jar roasted, red peppers, drained
1 round loaf of Italian or French bread

Cut the loaf in half. Spread the olive salad on both sides. Layer peppers, mozzarella, provolone, salami (or meat of your choice), and American cheese. Place top on, wrap in aluminum foil and weight with a heavy pan or brick. Allow to sit overnight in the refrigerator.

9 comments:

Purple Flowers said...

Delicious, delicious!

Jay said...

I've actually never had muffuletta. Maybe someday I'll try one.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I can't get past the olive salad. kalamata olives are one of my guilty pleasures. Well, maybe not so guilty. Aren't olives supposed to be goo for you? Anyway, the olive salad sounds like something I'd like to try.

beachgirl said...

What an interesting combination. I don't do glutens so the sandwich is out. But my kids would love it.

Have an awesome day.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Mmmm. I have never had muffuletta, but that sounds so good, I'm definitely going to make the olive salad - I love olives.

Cheryl said...

Yes, please :)

Anonymous said...

Whhuuoooaaaahhhh....drool drool....this looks verrry tasty!!

Gin said...

Yum!! That looks so good...and I love the name Muffuletta! It sounds big and Italian. LOL

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

muffuletta? ah you got poor Richard all worked up just to be told he was getting a sandwich? I would thought just as he did. :)