About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Monday, July 20, 2009

I can see myself living here, but would do so ALONE...

We arrived in sunny San Diego on Saturday to bedlam at the airport and car rental place. It didn't take us long to get our car and I had a chance to talk to some of the people working at Enterprise. Seems they were all concerned about the HEAT. Richard and I live in MD. During the Revolutionary War, the French mercenaries who were stationed in the area were given tropical pay. Our summer weather redefines heat and often times the humidity matches the temperature. Needless to say, we weren't sympathetic. It was a gorgeous 83 with about 17% humidity. Sheesh!
Our first stop was to a Panera -- as it was five o'clock Eastern time and we hadn't eaten since 6:30 AM. I don't eat on planes -- I have this theory that the airpressure changes metabolism -- and then onto our friends' new home. They are pretty much settled in and their home is lovely. It was a great reunion and we got to meet the babies--their twin grand children --for the first time.
Then onto our hotel in La Jolla to unpack, take a power nap and get ready for dinner at George's Ocean Terrace in La Jolla. I have just two words to say about this dinner: watermelon salad!! It is fantastic and I will replicate it when I get home. It had heirloom tomatoes, watermelon, fresh mint, a tiny bit of chopped Kalamata olives and feta and was dressed with a very light vinegarette.
We slept like the dead, got up at 8:00 Cali time and met Margie and Dave for breakfast at A. R. Valentine at Torrey Pines, where their son cooks, for a phenomenal breakfast. Then off to the pool. I had thought that I'd received enough sun in Bermuda that I could use the 70 SPF stuff I bought sparingly -- WRONG!!! My back, chest and forehead look like rare roast beef and this girl is a-hurtin'. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!! (I'm hitting my head right now).
After a day at the pool, we drove out to M&D's daughter's house in Scripp's Ranch for dinner and a quick visit. Chef Bradley cooked a four course meal for us (There are def benefits to having a Godson who's a chef!) that included crepes, duck confit, seared dayboat scallops on a bed of fresh cress, and grilled pound cake with native strawberries for dessert.
So today, Richard heads up to Carlsbad, I'll be staying out of the sun completely, and we'll have dinner with Marge as David is in flight to Toronoto as I write.
I've taken lots of photos and will post some later. Wednesday, we'll go exploring -- maybe to Palm Springs and then change hotels to get closer to the airport and our 7 AM flight on Thursday.

11 comments:

Purple Flowers said...

I like the sound of that watermelon salad! So, you're a lobster, eh? It will eventually turn tan with your Italian coloring, and then you'll look like a beach babe like the rest of the Cali. women. (just joking). I'm glad you're having a fun time w/your friends. So nice to see them! Take Care.

Unknown said...

I'm sure you are all tan and beautiful and look like a goddess!
But seriously, I hope you're not in pain from too much sun. It's so much stronger today than we're used to. I would have thought the coverage you used was plenty too.
It sounds like you are eating wonderfully on your trip! Please post the recipe to the watermelon salad when you make it! Why were the airport people so worried about the heat? It sounds like your having very nice weather.

Union Square is in Manhattan just below midtown right by 14th St. Mayne he's coming somewhere closer to you? I'd be happy to get you an autographed copy of his new book but it would be nice if you could get your own in person.

Jay said...

Damn, you guys know how to vacation!

Comedian Lewis Black once said his dream job would be the weatherman in San Diego.

Anchor: "Now to Lewis for the weather. How does it look Lews?"

Lewis: "Nice! .... Back to you!"

Deblynne said...

The watermelon salad sounds sublime. Hope your sunburn fades soon. We use aloe vera gel mixed with witch hazel and it seems to cool it down
Enjoy the rest of your vacation

happyone said...

I love watermelon salad too. I had one in Sykesville at Baldwin Station.
Ouch - sunburn sounds painful.
That weather sounds perfect!

Rick Rockhill said...

Was great seeing you today in La Jolla today Kathy. I'm going to have to try that watermelon salad now!

jane said...

i can picture everything! sounds wonderful... and the food....heaven! btw i have the same theory about airplanes... can´t wait to see the photos! besos!

grace said...

La Jolla is a beautiful place in the world.
Glad you and Rick could meet up for lunch there. :) Always great to meet a fellow blogger.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time and eating well. Sorry about the sunburn!
I'm looking forward to the recipe for the watermelon salad.

beachgirl said...

Enjoy your trip. And please stay out of the sun. I should send you some of my sunscreen. I don't burn when I use it.

Cheryl said...

Your vacation sounds like it was just wonderful. As usual. And you got to meet Rick. That must have been fun. The vacations are over for me. How about you?