About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Favorite Pots, Taking Inventory, And What Works for Me

This year, like last, I have 'favorite pots'.  It's interesting how our tastes and color preferences change over  time.  Here are the two I like best.

 Clockwise from top:  lime green nicotiana, osteospermum, purple verbena, lime green and hot pink geranium, and purple angelonia

Clockwise from top (again cropped off (sheesh)):  lime green nicotiana, black sweet potato vine, orange (although it doesn't look it) osteospermum, lime green/hot pink geranium, and purple angelonia.

You would have to be a hanging salami to not be affected by all the horrendous stuff going on both within our country and around the world.  It's downright awful (or offal).  Either way, it's depressing.  Add to that myriad annoying, but nonetheless affecting occurrences like people's lack of manners, belligerence over the smallest of slights, and the public airing of personal disputes.  Unfortunately, I could go on and on and on...but, and you can thank me later, I won't.  We're all dealing with enough to merit the aerial spraying of Prozac. 

What I will do, however, is what I can do:  I'm going out there and I'm going to hold the door for people even if I have to wait; I'm going to wave-on the car across from me at the four-way stop; I'm going to smile at everyone I see and just for a few seconds, try to make my small corner of the world a sweeter place. 

16 comments:

happyone said...

Your flower pots are beautiful and the pictures don't do them justice!!

I too will do all those things you mentioned. It may catch on!!!

TAG said...

Kathy,

First on a serious note, you have already made the world a sweeter place by being who you are. Thank you for that.

On a less serious note, you are truly a southern girl despite your raisin' in Philly.

How do I know this? You are raising Tobacco. Just be sure and keep the old man from trying to roll and smoke it before the end of summer.

Wait a minute... you didn't realize you were raising tobacco? Yep, nicotiana is tobacco.

To quote Paul Harvey, and now you know the rest of the story. ;0)


TAG

KathyA said...

Thank you, TAG, that was very nice of you.
Yes, dear, I know it's tobacco -- so what if it flowers. Only we dry it in the garage! It rolls real nicely!! :)

TAG said...

Ahhh, silly me. I should have known you would know.

I'm surprised at how often people don't realize that tobacco can have some very pretty flowers.

Enjoy your weekend.

TAG

Linda Reeder said...

I love your your color combinations! Purple and chartrusse are my favorites.

And I agree about being kind and considerate to strangers we meet. The least we can do is encourage civility.

Purple Flowers said...

Your flower pots look lovely. I also have Angelonia - love them.
I think you've planted a very nice selection of flowers. I can imagine what they will look like once they've settled in their new home.
Have a nice weekend!

Lena said...

Your flower pots are beautiful! Nice to have favorites.

I agree, it helps to spread joy even in the smallest way. I always try to do the things you speak of and it does make me feel good and I can tell it makes the others feel good as well.

Gilly said...

Your pots are just beautiful! I think my problem is that I don't put enough in them from the start! Or mix up flowers.

Could you come over and do mine for me, Kathy?? :)

Mind you, frost was forecast just as I had planted troughs with Busy Lizzies, and not having any fleece I put two big plastic crates that originally came from our Supermarket over them. They were fine!

I'm really feeling past my sell-by date today - its all the bad stuff going on, I just don't want to be here sometimes!!

And its raining and very cold, and ITS NEARLY JUNE!! Its supposed to be warm, at least!

Jules said...

Kathy, Kathy, Kathy..... I loved this post!! First your hanging salami and then the aerial spraying of Prozak! My wheaties hit the computer screen.

I'm off to sweeten up my own corner! Have a wonderful weekend.

GO SUNS!!

George said...

I like both your flower pots and the flowers in them. I also like what you're doing to make the world a little better. I'll join you -- now if we could only get a few billion more people to do the same perhaps we would need the aerial spraying of Prozac.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, your flower arrangements are beautiful! And random acts of kindness are always a good idea.

Thanks for visiting my dusty old blog. I really have been neglecting it. Lately, I'm either entering photo contests on Facebook or I'm lost in genealogy research on Ancestry.com. Sometimes I forget I have a blog.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

The world would be a better place if more people would just be kind and civil. Seems like too many people are self-centered and antagonistic.

Love your pots. I'm not very creative. My pots usually contain one type of flower. I never know what goes with what.

jane said...

your pot are lovely. you are an artist!!! and i´m smiling back at you. hugs!

Mage said...

Really lovely new pots and patio. :)

beachgirl said...

Kathy can you come down here and fix my flower pots? My impatients died in a few pots. Help.
I love how you garden. That was my wusbands job. His house looks awesome.
I like your view of the world also. I also do what you do on a daily basis. Being nice is not a chore to me and it makes me happy.

Cheryl said...

Love your flowers and the season has just begun. You'll have to repost the same pictures later in the summer.

I love the idea of doing what we can to make the day a little better for someone else. It's nice to be nice.