About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

And The Livin' Is Easy?

We're having husband's parents and two-thirds of the kids over for Father's Day today. (The youngest is at a horse show someplace in Central VA).   We're doing a cookout for which I began preparing yesterday so I could enjoy myself today.  The brisket is roasting, the chicken is marinating and will be grilled shortly, potato salad, sesame noodle salad, and tomato-cucumber salad are all refrigerated, and the lemon meringue pie is tempting me from the counter.  I burned the edge of the meringue -- first time that's ever happened -- that'll be my piece.

Even though the temperature should top 95° today, we've got a lot of shade and will attempt to actually eat outside.  We'll see.  Maybe if I give everyone a tablespoon and direct them to dig, we can put in a pool!  Anyone got a spare back-hoe?

Happy Father's Day! 

10 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I hope you and yours have a great Father's Day. Your post is making me hungry.

Andrew said...

Oh, the food sounds absolutely amazing. I bet y'all are having a good time as I write this. Missed you so much and glad to have you back in my blogging online life. Take care and happy father's day to your family.

Jonathon Andrew

Purple Flowers said...

Sounds like a great BBQ! Allen and I had lunch w/my Mother. She's adorable!
No back hoe but if I did, I'd loan it to you for a piece of pie (my favorite kind).

TAG said...

Sounds good. What time should I arrive?


TAG

Cheryl said...

I did Father's Day early at my parents house. It was a nice relaxing time. My dinner was good, buy yours was great, I know.

Jay said...

The only thing missing from that was the keg. ;-)

happyone said...

Everything sounds delicious. Hope all went well.

Gin said...

Sounds like you had a great day! But you just had to go and mention lemon meringue pie, didn't you!! OMG I love anything lemon!!!

BTW, I love your new look...very chic!!!

Gilly said...

What a great Father's Day! And the food sounds lovely - wishn I had been there!

George said...

It sounds as if you had a great Father's Day planned. I hope the day went well.