About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Saturday's Garden Visit

Last Saturday afternoon at Brookside Gardens was lovely.  The temperature registered 86° and  the gardens were not crowded.  We were a little disappointed, but certainly not surprised that the flowers looked a little worse for the wear; the roses tired and hardly blooming.  Actually, I found this heartening as comparatively, ours look pretty good.  I've mentioned in other posts that this seems to be the year for butterflies.  We saw many at the gardens -- all outside of the special butterfly exhibit they now feature.
Butterflies enjoy the Joe Pye Weed

Purple Basil and Rice

Vegetables, Herbs, and Flowers

Watermelon and Swiss Chard


Zen water feature in the rose garden

10 comments:

Seth M. Ward said...

You're getting really good with the camera:D Thanks for your recent comment. I appreciate them. Keep me in your prayers. Tomorrow is really my tipping point with this job. Oh, and mention to God it's kinda hot down hear and we could use some better weather!

KathyA said...

Seth! Thanks for the compliment, but the husb took the garden photos. (It was too hot for me to carry my own camera!! :) )And yes, he is getting pretty good with the camera.
You're in my prayers -- it's been hotter than Hell, here, too! Humid enough to cut it with a knife.

Purple Flowers said...

Kath - really nice photos! I love butterflies, and have recently been given a butterfly bush. It not only attracts butterflies but hummingbirds too.
Stay cool! It's a hot one today.

Gulf Coast said...

Lovely...wished my back yard looked like this. It is so hot here that my plants are dying =(

happyone said...

It all looks beautiful. I've noticed lots of butterflies too. One time I was walking by the lake and about 6 of them were flying around me as I walked. It was really cool.

Jay said...

Those gardens look like a nice relaxing place to hang out. When it's not really hot. haha

Beautiful photos.

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos, Kathy! I was wondering how the flowers were handling this hot summer. The butterflies are beautiful. We're seeing quite a few of them in Brooklyn this summer too, a friend of mine has a nice backyard with flowers and veggies she planted. The influx of butterflies is amazing, they're beautiful! I guess this is their year.

~ Amy

Jules said...

Oh I enjoyed this post Kathy!! And by the way, a big hello and a big hug. You never fail to have something lovely to say on my blog! I appreciate you!

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Looks like a beautiful place to spend a day. We've had lots of butterflies too. Maggie May likes to chase them.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful trip to the gardens, Kathy.... We have had such horribly hot weather here this summer (rare for us since we are 2000 feet up on the Cumberland Plateau)--but with lots of watering, we have kept most of our summer flowers alive... George has to work hard keeping all of our Roses happy...

I'd love to see those gardens in the spring.
Hugs,
Betsy