About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

He Didn't Mean To Bite Him?

My youngest brother was an on air reporter for a number of years in West Virginia, Roanoke, Richmond, and finally Atlanta.  He was respectful of people's privacy which gained him friendships and access otherwise refused to other reporters.  When Evander Holyfield was bitten by Mike Tyson, my brother was the only reporter invited into Holyfield's home.  Jay arrived by helicopter, flying over all those encamped outside the gates.  Jay says their gestures indicated they were not happy.  When the story went national, Jay appeared at Holyfield's side.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story! Your brother must have many interesting stories to tell.

And... hey... you popped up on my sidebar today.. YAY!

Di

Linda Reeder said...

Proof that integrity does raise one above the middling crowds.

George said...

How interesting. I think this just shows that a person can be both respectful and a good reporter. Good for him!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Kathy, Is your brother still on Fox News in Atlanta??? That has to be a great job---and I'm sure he does have stories to tell. He should write a book!!!

I remember that story really well... Mike Tyson is an unbelievable piece of 'you-know-what'......

Hugs,
Betsy

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

That's an interesting story. When was he in Richmond? I'm trying to remember if I've seen him on air.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. He must be really proud.

Lena said...

What a cool story. Your brother has good Karma!

Gilly said...

Today's journalists are too pushy, rude and intrusive. Good for your brother to be polite etc. and win interviews that others missed!! More strength to his pen (or recorder!)

Mage said...

Great story. What a nice brother you have.

Yes cruise. We are taking the Oosterdam far down into Mexico....LaPaz, Mazatlan. It may be a dumb thing to do with every one at war with everyone, but the cruise starts and ends less than two miles from the house. And it is cheap too.

Unknown said...

Good for your brother! He's a smart man. Maybe he'll write a book one day about his journalist experiences and discuss his policy to respect people's privacy while doing his job.. and how being like that paid off in dividends in his job. So many people today don't know the proper way to behave professionally and privately and need to be hit over the head with the truth of the matter!

I admire your brother.
~ Amy