About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Home By Another Way -- w/ a nod to James Taylor

Yesterday wasn't just dark and dreary; it was downright frightening.  The National Weather Service posted tornado, high wind, severe thunderstorm warnings and flash flood advisories, and while we were spared the tornadoes the rest came to fruition.

We deferred to the ominous skies and frightening winds and stayed in most of the day.  I planned 90% of my garden and 'pot-scape', and started on that shopping list (I have to hurry before Richard sends out my picture to local nurseries with a warning "DO NOT SELL TO THIS WOMAN".  (I just cast a wider net.  VA and PA aren't that far.))

Rains and wind abated last evening and we set out to friends' house for a "Man Cave christening".  As we traveled west on I70, we noted that the sky west of us looked almost black.  Not a good sign...And then the rains and winds hit us.  Unable to see, we pulled over for a short time.  We tried again a short time later and decided to call our hostess, turn around and head for home. 

Sometimes we just have to re-assess things and change course -- and while this was not an important event, it still served as a lesson.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crazy weather all up and down the East Coast yesterday. I got caught in the worst of our storm while doing our grocery shopping... probably not the wisest thing I've ever done.

Di

Purple Flowers said...

Very eerie and dangerous. I went to sleep earlier than usual to escape the thunder. "Isn't it nice to be home again?" I bet you were singing that song the moment you walked into your home. I love that James.

Anonymous said...

Wise decision.

P.S. Glad to hear that you have almost finished planning your garden for this year.

Sally Wessely said...

True, we do have to do this at times. The wise one does it before the luxury of making a choice is no longer an option. I'm glad you turned around and headed home.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Glad you made it back home safely, Kathy. That weather this weekend has been horrible for many areas of the country. We had FIVE inches of rain, wind, thunder, lightning, etc. --but luckily no tornadoes here...

I have no idea what a Man Cave Christening is.... Please tell this ole' southern gal.

Hugs,
Betsy

Kay said...

Do please continue to take care. We've been seeing all those frightening news clips on TV. It's truly horrifying. Better to be safe than sorry.

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

It was terrible weather to be out...much safer to stay home. Today, though...so bright and beautiful! One for two isn't bad. If you need to cast an even wider net, there's always the famous Ronnies, right down the street from me (almost)...we could have lunch!

Jay said...

Those storms that rolled through the South over the last three days were nothing to be taking chances with.

George said...

I'm glad you were spared tornadoes in your area, but it sounds as if you had more than your share of nasty stuff. I'm glad you are all safe.
If your husband's posters go out further than you expect, you should know that we have some wonderful nurseries in Warren county near here.

Bilbo said...

That was some truly awful weather. Agnes and I judge how frightening a storm is by how long it takes to coax Nessa (the dog) out from underneath my desk in the study...and we set a new record on Saturday!

Mage said...

So glad you are ok. While we were out at the truck museum, a grandaughter called. Her area had just been struck by a tornado, and she was frightened to death. Afterwards she called back to say she was ok. We are glad for you too.

A Slice of My Life said...

Wait...you're supposed to PLAN a garden??? I'm still at the stage where I say Oooo pretty, I'll take six! Although I've finally gotten better about making sure whatever it is will thrive without much sun..

I'm glad you survived the storm, that sounds scary.

Lena said...

We had some of the storms travel up here. I never heard my house shake and creak from the wind as much as it did that night!

You were wise to turn back home. It was a good reminder lesson about re-evaluate and change course!

Forsythia said...

Those storms make your hair stand up and take notice! I remember seeing a greenish-purple sky while driving home, and hearing tornado warnings on the radio. When did Maryland turn into Kansas?

kateri ewing said...

Ha! I know what you mean about concerned loved ones sending out notices to our haunts of "Do not sell to this woman!" Mine would be bookstore and art supply stores.

We had a big storm the other night, a first for my two little kittens. Their eyes were big as dinner plates. I don't think they have ever snuggled closer.

xoxo