About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Dolly Parton's in the Pot!

Maryland in May is spectacularly verdant and lush.  Today was in the low 70s and absolutely glorious!  Our springs are usually short and we dive into 'hot and humid' by this time.  This year, however,  and at the risk of tempting fate, we've had a prolonged spring with mild temps.   It's been pleasant working outside.  All but four of my pots are planted and I'll take photos as soon as they start to fill out a bit. I'm also still waiting for the remainder of my order from Park Seed:  Cherokee purple heirloom tomatoes and the Gold and Bold Collection of million bells  (callibrachoa). 

We're again having terrible trouble with the *#^% rabbits.  I've tried EVERYTHING -- all the products are 'guaranteed', but the cursed rodents have really gone after my roses.  Last year, I did find some success with cat fur -- and Azrielle loved being brushed everyday,  but short of shaving her, I won't have enough fur to go around.  George and Betsy have  planted quite a few roses in containers.  I've planted three so far (two floribundas and Dolly Parton hybrid tea,  and have one more to go - the JFK hybrid tea - after I receive it from our youngest this weekend.  The rabbits will need step ladders to get to them.  Gotta get me a fox...

11 comments:

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Just so ya' know...here in Delaware, the rabbits always win! LT has put all sorts of things out to keep them away, and THINKS the dried blood (there's another name for it but I can't remember it) is the thing that works. I know, though, that while I'm having my coffee, I often see a little furry friend with long ears munch away. hehehe They are smart little critters, and must have very good vision. He rarely sees them while he's having his coffee!

Kimberly said...

WOW - what a title it would be if you added JFK to it! LOL. Can't wait for the pictures! Bunnies are rodents??? They are too cute!

Gilly said...

Rabbits don't need step ladders, they stand on each other's shoulders! ;)

Your pots sound lovely - photos soon, please!

KiraAJ said...

Cant wait to see the pics :) as for critters....those wascally widdle wabbits...i dont know what to tell u..i never had a problem with them per say...then again our 3 cats were always out in the yard during the day laying around and snoozing in the flower beds and veggie garden...my biggest critter problem was with the squirels lol they LOVED my heirloom strawberries.... BUT come the second year i welcomed them seeing the strawberries had taken over the beds and the paths in our yard lol we couldnt eat the strawberries quick enough hence all the freezer jam and fruity baked goods LOL :)

Cheryl said...

There's nothing worse than seeing your beloved plants destroyed. Are you saying you've planted your roses in pots too? I hope that works. You live in such a wonderful area with lots of wildlife. They have a taste for your yummy plants. Darn them!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, we had a fox in the neighborhood when we lived in your fair city, so there are some around. Would be nice if he would find his way to your yard.

Di

George said...

We also have Dolly Parton in a pot, and she's just about ready to bloom. I hope you have just as much success with your plant. We have a bigger problem with deer than we do with rabbits, but we've found that Liquid Fence does a pretty good job of discouraging them. It's supposed to work on rabbits as well, so perhaps that's why we haven't had much of a problem. Now excuse me while I go knock on some wood!

Sally Wessely said...

I don't have to contend with rabbits, but somewhere I read that moth balls keep them away. I probably read it someone's blog.

I have a John F. Kennedy, but it is not doing well at all. I don't know if it will come out of it all. I do love it.

I love my roses, so I would hate to have rabbits getting into them.

Barb said...

I can send you some foxes, Kathy - Coyotes and Bears, too. Sounds like you're having a lush and lovely spring. There is a winter storm warning for Breckenridge starting tonight into tomorrow - possibility of a foot! We're supposed to leave for our west coast getaway - hope we can make it over Vail Pass!

Kay said...

I'm so sorry about your rabbits, Kathy. We had tons of them in Illinois, especially after West Nile wiped out our big birds of prey. I didn't know cat fur worked.

We don't have rabbits in Hawaii, thank goodness! I can just imagine what would happen if they got loose here. Yikes!

happyone said...

Oh yes, it's wonderful to have spring. Weather is just perfect.
Those pesky wabbits!!