About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"Like Branches After A Storm"

My title is a line from a Ted Kooser poem "Abandoned Farmhouse".  The poem is one of my favorites.  When I saw our back yard on Sunday after Irene had passed through, the first thing I thought of was this particular line.


Relatively, we are unscathed and quite lucky.  We never lost power, although most around us did on Saturday.  Many, including our daughter, will not have power restored until Friday at the earliest as residences are 'down the list' after government agencies and schools.  So she and our grand daughter are staying with us.  On Sunday she and her neighbors had an impromptu block party.  Melissa pulled out her grill and she and her friends cooked everything in their refrigerators and freezers as food was defrosting quickly.  Someone must have seen the smoke and called the fire department, who were good-natured and let all the little ones sit up on the truck and ran the lights and sirens.

After my having a colon re-section and fistula repair, complications, a 5.8 earthquake, daughter Robyn's barn being hit by lightning, her suffering an allergic re-action to sulphur's being released into their well (due to the earthquake), and then Hurricane Irene, I think I can say it's been an interesting summer.  C'mon fall!

17 comments:

Shug said...

Thankful that you all were not Hard Hit by the hurricane. Sounds like your summer has been quite eventful...Hope all is well now.
blessings,
shug

Purple Flowers said...

Certainly, it's been an interesting summer for you and family. I'm just glad you all made it through with a smile.
Hope you're feeling better with each new day.

Forsythia said...

Good grief, Lady! After reading your second paragraph, I'd say fall can't come soon enough for you and yours. It'll be here soon. :-)

Cheryl said...

I'm not ready for fall, but I am ready for normal...whatever that is!
No more drama.

I hope you're getting better every day.

George said...

I think you could use some peace and quite for a change. I'm glad you got through Irene relatively unscathed, although I'm sorry to hear about the delay in getting your daughter's power back. A block party seems like a great way to use food that would otherwise go to waste. I'm glad the firemen were good sports when called.

Sally Wessely said...

You have really been through it. I wondered how you weathered Irene. I hope that fall brings good weather and good health. Take care.

Two Minute Takes said...

Goodness Kathy, you must be ready to scream *Enough Already*. Relieved to read that despite everything, you are all seeming to manage O.K. and I hope that you have turned a corner on your road to your physical recovery.
On the upside, the kids must have had a blast at the BBQ with the Fire Truck and all.
Hope that the coming Fall holds all the peace and quiet and uneventfulness that you are looking forward to.

P.S. Thank you for the link to the poem. I read it. Loved it and bookmarked to go back and read more of Kooser's work.

Rick Rockhill said...

Well yes, I'd say you have certainly had your share of events, so to speak. Here's to a boring Autumn!

Linda Reeder said...

Wow, you have had a time of it. I'm happy to hear all your folks are OK.

Kimberly said...

Hopefully things will be looking up soon! I can commiserate with your daughter. Mags is highly allergic to sulphites - I am to a lesser degree. It is a terrible allergy and it is amazing how many things contain sulphites.

Cobalt Violet said...

I am glad you are all O.K. but it sounds like good things need to be on the way! Sheesh! Yes, some lovely fall leaves and a bit of peace for you. I will think good thoughts!

Jay said...

I think you've been through quite enough! It's probably time for things to settle down. ha ;-)

Mage said...

I think I would skip fall and jump directly to winter. :)

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

You have had an eventful summer! Hope fall proves to be more peaceful.
Hope you are feeling better.

Linda said...

Wow, you have had a summer. Hopefully better days are ahead.

Unknown said...

I am so happy to hear Irene didn't wreak havoc on you and destroy your beautiful garden. I feel so for your daughter losing her power for so many days, that stinks. After Sunday I thought that Irene had been relatively easy on us but since I feel like everyday the reports worsen, at least until yesterday.

Interesting is a "nice" word to use for your summer...I have something stronger, more acerbic in mind but I'll keep it to myself!

Anonymous said...

You'll be telling the story of the summer of 2011 for a long time to come... Or at least remembering it.

I'm so glad you're back, welcome back, let the healing begin..

How was the chicken soup?