About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Walking Without a Limp

I'm alive and well and still working on getting used to my new knee, which celebrated its two-month birthday on the 17th.  I went in for what is euphemistically called a "manipulation" -- they knocked me out and manually bent my knee to 'break' the scar tissue -- two weeks ago and am doing great.  From that procedure I gained 30° more range of motion.  And when I woke up I was not in any pain.  Still doing arduous PT a few times a week (I offered my therapist my earrings if she'd stop 'stretching' me -- she refused)  -- trying to get strong for our flight to Barcelona and then cruise from there to Venice in about a month from now.


Our trip will interfere a bit with my planting, but I assure all the local nurseries that I will be at it as soon as we return.  I have a responsibility to bolster nursery sales, after all.  We have started pruning rose bushes, spraying and cleaning up, but I have not yet planned out where I'll put all the pots and more importantly, what I'll put in them.   I can do this, though, while I'm icing my knee.


My DIL posted this today of our two-month old grandson:


It reminds me of a photo Melissa took four years ago of Ariana when we visited Johns Hopkins.  



13 comments:

Tracy said...

UGH, I think I will need knee replacement sometime...my knees are so bad. I hope you are on the mend and that grandson of yours; what a handsome dude! :)

Sally Wessely said...

So good to see a post from you again. I was worried about you. It sounds like you are doing well and plugging along while also making all kinds of plans. That is a good thing.

I love the photos of the grandbabies. They are adorable.

Anonymous said...

You are sounding much more spirited and it is good to hear that you are getting more mobility with each passing week.
Your grandson looks smashing in those glasses LOL.

Enjoy your trip to Barcelona and cruise to Venice. We went four years ago and just loved it...a lot of walking in store for you and a lot of little canal bridges with steps, so wear comfortable shoes

Linda Reeder said...

I sounds like you have had a real battle getting back on your feet. I'm glad you seem to be turning a corner on this. Getting ready for your trip is good motivation to keep working that knee.

Cheryl said...

Walking without a limp is fantastic! You'll be in great shape to garden when you get back. I'm really happy about your progress.

Kimberly said...

It is good to read an update. That manipulation sounds awful! So glad they knocked you out for it. Makes me shudder to imagine. Walking without a limp after only two months - way to go!!!!

Kay said...

I hope your recuperation from your knee replacement goes quickly. Love these gorgeous photos! What a cutie!

Forsythia said...

Love the "shades" on the little ones. Glad you and your knee are getting along so well.

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Good to hear from you again. Sounds like you're heading in the right direction...that would be fun vacation-bound with a good knee and no paiin. Good for you! Cute pics of the babies...sunglasses on babies always cracks me up! Guess when it comes to the little ones I'm easily entertained!

KiraAJ said...

Happy to hear ur new knee is doin well :) hope it will not give u any grief on ur flight and cruise! How exciting :) Happy Spring!

Barb said...

What news! A new knee and a new Grandson. Both will be blessings for you. It sounds as though you have a great trip planned, too. Keep healing and doing PT!

jane said...

i´m so glad you are feeling better kathy! soon this will all be a fading memory. :)
i´m loving the shades!
x

Mage said...

Hope you can get better fast. Yes, you are going to have soooooo much fun in Spain and all those other wonderful stops. :) So glad it worked.