About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Swaying Palms and Five Time Zones

     It's been a week since we've returned from Maui.  We flew first to San Diego,  visited with M & D's kids and grands.  Had four great meals -- one at Tender Green's where Brad, their son, is chef.  One where he cooked for us, one at an Italian restaurant, and fish tacos at our favorite South Beach Saloon in Ocean Beach.






     We stayed  for two nights and left with M & D on Tuesday.  We flew on Alaska Airlines for the first time and I was totally impressed.  Imagine having leg and arm room IN COACH!  

     I had never been to been to Hawaii before and really did not know what to expect.  Certainly not this welcoming committee...



And I'd heard it was beautiful, but this view from the top of Haleakala is breath-taking...











  We arrived home into 27° weather and I've spent the past week attempting to acclimate to Eastern Time.  Wouldn't it just be a lot easier if the world were in just two time zones?  

8 comments:

Forsythia said...

The welcoming committee was adorable, but they forgot to present you with leis. Beautiful photos.

Mage said...

Well, I would have welcomed you too, but I would have been fractionally higher off the ground. Yes, we love tender greens. Their salads aren't on G's atkins, darn it. Welcome home. I told G about your comfort. I'm so not looking forward to flying next year.

Purple Flowers said...

Hi Kathy - your photographs look like postcards I would buy. The scenery is beautiful, especially the rainbow. I am sure you had a wonderful vacation with your husband and good friends. It is what life is all about (or should be). Take Care and have a beautiful Thanksgiving.

Cheryl said...

Looks like it was worth every bit of the hours of flight. Looks like paradise!

Cheryl said...

Looks awesome Kathy. Worth all those hours of travel. I'm living a little vicariously through you.

Cobalt Violet said...

Beautiful! You even got a rainbow!!!
I can almost smell the plumeria! Hope it was all magical!

Kay said...

Oh gracious! Those feral chickens are all over Maui too? Incredible. I loved seeing your photos. I recognize so many of those sights. Haleakala is indeed an amazing place. I'm so glad you had such a great time.

Sally Wessely said...

You had a wonderful trip. I bet it was a shock to come home to the cold. I love Hawaii. It is sounding like a great place to go about now.