About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Monday, September 30, 2024

What the +%#* ??

When did it become socially acceptable to shovel anathema and vulgarity on people with whom one does not agree?   Now a commonplace act.

On our way to a favorite restaurant we saw a cute bungalow along this public and very visible national highway, boasting a huge flag with the words "F --- Biden!" for everyone, young and old, to see.  (Try explaining this one to your six-year old.)

And in beautiful Rehobeth Beach, on the lovely square not four blocks from Biden's family home, and only two blocks from the church he attends, sits a pick-up truck with hundreds of Trump signs plastered on it.  Not a problem.

(This is when I wish my pointer finger were a flame-thrower).

What I failed to mention is that it includes vulgarities aimed at both Biden and Harris.  Vulgarities that  I blush at mentioning.  Despite efforts of local residents and Rehobeth business owners, the man refuses to move his truck as it is his First Amendment right.  No matter how it affects others. To those the vulgarities are directed; to those who live there; to those whose businesses are affected by it.  Evidently he is not capable of otherwise expressing himself.

What a dual-edged sword freedom of speech is.


No comments: