About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Friday, August 28, 2020

Kath's Tomato Crostada



Failproof Pie or Crostada Crust

This makes 2 small pie crusts or one large crostada.

    stick butter, cut into small pieces.  Place in freezer.

1/2 c of cream cheese

2    c all-purpose flour

3/4 tsp kosher salt

2    beaten eggs

(If you have no cream cheese, add another 1/2 stick of butter)

Place flour, butter, cream cheese, and salt into a food processor bowl.  Pulse until it resembles corn meal.  Add eggs and pulse just until it forms a ball.  Dump onto floured surface and form into a disc about six inches round.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

After chilled, set out while you prepare the filling.


Tomato-Red Pepper Filling

5     ripe yellow and/or red tomatoes, sliced and salted

Place tomatoes in a colander to drain for at least one hour

2     roasted red peppers, patted dry and chopped

1     small purple onion, sliced

5-6  slices of cooked bacon, cut into 1" pieces

3/4  cup of mayo

2     T of grated Parmesan cheese

1     c grated jack or cheddar

1/2  tsp of freshly, coarsely ground black pepper


When tomatoes have thoroughly drained, place into a large bowl and add remaining ingredients.  Toss completely.

Roll disc to a large round.  Place crust on  parchment-lined baking sheet.

Spoon filling onto crust leaving about two inches of crust.

Fold crust over, and brush generously with egg wash (one beaten egg).

Bake on lower rack in 375° oven for 45 minutes.  Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes before slicing.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks fabulous, Kathy. Bet it tasted great, too!!!

gracejones said...

Thanks for posting this! I am going to try it. I imagine there are all kinds of variations of what can go in the middle, too.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

YUM YUM YUM..... Hey Girlie, SO glad to hear from you. How are you? Making it okay through this Covid STUFF???? We are doing fine ---and are beginning to do some short trips again --which is NICE. So far, the social distancing everywhere we have been has been GREAT....

I am really struggling with all of the Blogger Changes.... Seems much harder (more complicated and not user-friendly at all) ..... Not sure how much longer I will continue to Blog. I've been doing it since 2006 --and have loved it for the most part. I only Blog now about once a week --and only if I have something to Blog about...

Stay in touch.... It was GREAT hearing from you.
Hugs,
Betsy