About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Soup's On!!

It's cold, raw, and raining. Perfect weather for a fire and a cup of soup and slice of homemade bread. This soup is one I made for my kids every Halloween before they went out to trick or treat. It's a tasty, healthy, comforting soup. Many know this as Italian Wedding Soup. To me it will always be Mom Mom soup as my maternal grandmother made it for us frequently.

Mom Mom Soup

1       lb ground round or mixture of beef, veal, and pork
2       beaten eggs
¼      c Parmesan cheese
¼      c Italian breadcrumbs
1        tbs dried basil
1        tsp salt

Mix ingredients together. Roll into very small meatballs (smaller than 1”). Place on baking sheet or microwave safe plate. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 or microwave for about 4 minutes on paper towels.  Set aside.

3-4     quarts chicken stock
4-5     carrots, peeled and sliced into 1” slices
3        stalks of celery, chopped
1        10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach or escarole
1        onion,  chopped

Boil one half package of acini di pepe - a pastine-like, small pasta. Drain and set aside.


In a large stock pot sauté onion until transparent. Add chicken stock, carrots, celery, and spinach or escarole. Cook for 20 minutes. Add meatballs. Simmer for an hour. Add acini di pepe. Serve with additional grated Parmesan cheese.

10 comments:

TAG said...

Sounds good. What time should I be at your house to eat? :D

TAG

happyone said...

Sounds so good for a rainy cool day like this.
And yes, I did walk this morning. :-)

Purple Flowers said...

Anyday is good for this soup, but today especially. It warms the stomach and brings back comfort memories. Thank you Kathy!!

Cheryl said...

Perfect for a day like today, or any day!

Lena said...

I love this soup. Thanks for the recipe! I never made it, but I will now!

I am in Wilmington, Delaware and it is rainy, but snow flurries back home in CT.

Lena said...

I love this soup. Thanks for the recipe! I never made it, but I will now!

I am in Wilmington, Delaware and it is rainy, but snow flurries back home in CT.

Jamie said...

Like Lena, I love this but have never made it, so thank you for the recipe!

Happy weekend!

Hugs, friend. :)

jane said...

this sounds delish! thanks for the recipe. happy weekend!

beachgirl said...

That sounds easy to make. I have never mastered the fine art of soup making. But I can bake.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oooh. I've never know how to make this. I think I'll surprise my husband with it sometime soon.