About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Goodbye, Dixie

My intention was to have lunch yesterday with my friend Carol, but this was not to be.  Melissa needed my help with the baby and so the little one and I dined together on omelets and naan.  I missed Carol, but our lunch was a little more entertaining as Carol doesn't usually put her plate, replete with food, on top of her head, and then yell "HAT!!".

I was saddened this week by the death of Dixie Carter, the striking and talented actress from Designing Women:  one of my all-time favorite shows.  She played Julia Sugarbaker, a well-spoken, high heeled, beautiful dressed, opinionated, liberal, visceral woman.  The strength of her character amazed me as she often said things I thought, but wouldn't have been able to articulate -- like when she told the doctor of a good friend -- the doctor having berated this friend for seeking a second opinion about a lump in her breast -- that he told his patients "not to worry; he would do the worrying for them", but that he couldn't "do the dying for them," which is what happened when these women were kowtowed into following his advice to do nothing.  In an episode about a newstand that regularly featured 'men's magazines' with scantily clad or nude women, Julia ran her car into the stand, not once but three times.  She insisted that she, like the newstand owner,  was exercising her First Amendment rights. 

Knowing full well that Dixie Carter was not Julia Sugarbaker, I like to think that she did, though, help create women who could, while maintaining abject femininity, show strength and eloquence.  I know she affected me.

7 comments:

Lena said...

I enjoyed watching that show, too, for all of the same reasons. Always a very serious message, but lots of humor as well.

so Julia Sugarbaker will live on in re-runs, when we are lucky enough to catch them on.

George said...

My late wife really liked Designing Women, so I saw many episodes. I was very impressed with Julia Sugarbaker.

Seth M. Ward said...

Dixie was one of a kind. In ways, I am glad her suffering is over and others, I am sad for Hal who lost the love of his life. Both brought so much to the screen and there are far and few between the two that measure up to their stature......or grace.

On a side note, you might want to go to approving comments to prevent the spam commentting like the one above. Just a thought!:D Be good to yourself.

Two Minute Takes said...

I too loved to watch all the ladies on Designing Women. Dixie Carter was a natural leader and a wonderful actress. I also admire the very talented and insightful work of Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, a script writer for the show.

beachgirl said...

The show was always fun and entertaining.
She will be missed.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

I never have watched much TV, but I did see several episodes of Designing Women. She was my favorite character on the show.

Cheryl said...

It really was a shock to hear that she died, especially since I hadn't heard anything of her illness/cancer. She will live on in our memory. I agree....she was great.