About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Monday, April 5, 2010

I'm Amazed (in no particular order)

1.   Cruise ships, trains, and planes - the size/power -- awesome!

2.   The fact that planes can get off the ground.

3.   The depth of human kindness and the antithetical depth of degradation.  Humans are sooo paradoxical.

4.    Spring -- specifically, that with the slightest tilt of the Earth's axis, trees, flowers, gardens, et cetera, begin to bud.

5.    Earthworms, lady bugs and preying mantis - for all good reasons.

6.    Stinkbugs -  for all bad reasons.

7.    Oceans  -- how within minutes they can go from peaceful lapping to angry pounding!

8.    Donovan McNabb is now a Washington Redskin and will play against the Eagles TWICE!

8b.  The fact that the only football team in the nation having a racial denigration as its name is in our nation's capital.

9.    George Orwell wrote an essay on the need for accuracy and simplicity of language:  a complex, complicated and wordy one!

10.  The infectiousness of laughter.

11.  The unconditional love of pets.

12.  How the brain and body need rest, but still produce dreams while we sleep.

13.  The power of love.

And you???

7 comments:

Purple Flowers said...

Beautiful! Abit too tired from the gym to think straight. However, you said much of what I think and feel, plus a few eye openers. Thank you Kath!

Jay said...

Great list.

I'm amazed by how fast new technologies are created. And things like wireless internet. It's just so amazing and seems like it should be things we read in sci-fi books instead of casually use without thinking about it.

Linda Reeder said...

Great list! On the news tonight I saw a brand new technology - a projector just a bit bigger than an iphone, that can project images from you phone or lap top or whatever without having to focus, on any surface. Amazing!

Gilly said...

All of those! And how the next generation finds it so easy to latch on to new technology that fazes us older ones. But then I as a nifty computer-user when my parents were alive - and they found that hard to believe!

And another thing - how choirs of little children singing almost anything, but mostly "away in a Manger" can reduce me to tears. And I loathe that carol!

jane said...

great list... of course now i´m drawing a blank... hugs!

Lena said...

I am amazed that winter is over. Seemed like it would never end!

Two Minute Takes said...

I love the way you think and especially how beautifully you are able to transfer your thoughts onto *paper*. Great post, thanks!