About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Bowl of Cherries

We visited my mom yesterday.  It's always fun going up to see her.  We laugh, we talk, we have great cheesesteaks for lunch.  I'm thankful to still have her in my life.  She's an amazing woman and a fantastic mother -- one that NOTHING gets by --  who at 85 is more active than some people half her age.  She sings in three choirs, belongs to a political discussion group, the Italian Club, plays baci and wii bowls.

She hadn't seen me around my birthday and so presented me with a lovely pair of earrings and a bowl of gorgeous cherries.  These have some significance -- right after she had given birth to me, her mother showed up at the hospital with a bag of cherries to celebrate my being born.  My mom said she wasn't sure what she was more excited about, that she had her first grand child or she was able to get such beautiful fruit!  (I can just picture my 'Mom Mom", all 4'9" of this wiry Italian lady whose English wasn't real good, coming into that hospital in South Philadelphia like the dynamo that she was).

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute story of your birth! I have a cherry story too that I have not shared on my blog but will one day. Not as happy as your cherry story though.

DI

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Kathy, Sounds like your Mom is a Go-Getter.... I love to see people like her -who are still active and living life to its fullest even in their 80's and 90's... AWESOME.

Sounds like your Grandmother was a 'pistil' also.... Wonder if your grandchildren will say the same thing about you sometime????? Bet so..
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

What a great story. You're grandmother (and mother) sounds like quite a lady. I'll never look at a bowl of cherries the same way again.

Sally Wessely said...

This is a great story. It is so cool that your mom carries on the tradition of giving you cherries on your birthday.

Your mom sounds like a treasure. We are so fortunate to have our moms at this stage in life.

Purple Flowers said...

I love the bowl of cherry story - so warm and sweet. Glad your Mom is so active. Wow! She has more energy than I do - great for her!!

Forsythia said...

Wonderful story. I loved this, and loved hearing how active at 85-year-old can be. Three choirs! I AM impressed.

happyone said...

You are blessed to have such a mom! : )
Liked the cherry story.

Lena said...

Wow, your mom sure is active!! Good for her. Love the cherry story. Yum.

Barb said...

I love this story, Kathy! My Mom and Gram were feisty, too. Great that you still have your Mom - I miss mine every day.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Your mother sounds like my kind of lady.

Kay said...

What a mom you've got! Lucky you! You've got good genes.