About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Doing Much Better, Thank You

You are all a blessing to me -- your kindness and support truly humble me.  I must admit I'm a little embarrassed by my post, but am in a better frame of mind now that my travail has been spoken/written.


Yesterday after I published, I said to myself, "What would you say to someone who expressed those feelings?"  The first thing I'd say to them is, "Get out in the sunshine for at least 20 minutes."  So I, w/ my old-lady walker, did just that.  I walked to our mailbox - about half a block down the street.  Then I came home, had a nice breakfast (that I made myself) and situated myself into the CPM (Continuous Passive Movement) machine that is on our couch, set it at 55%, and plugged it in.  My goal was to get it to 60% before the day was over.  I downloaded a positive, whimsical book (The Peach Keeper) onto my NOOK and began reading.


The day after the surgery, I told my ortho that I didn't expect it to hurt so much.  He admitted to me that this is by far the most painful surgery he does.  He asked, "Do you have any idea of what we do for a total knee replacement?  -- It's more like a day a Home Depot".   Then he reminded me to keep hitting that morphine button.


We're expecting a little wet snow here today.  I've got PT this afternoon barring dangerous conditions.  It'll be a treat to get out.

19 comments:

Sally Wessely said...

This is great news. Recovery is always a shock because we forget that it takes time and patience. I agree that the best thing is time in the sun. I'm glad you had some and that got out there in it.

I also like the reasonable goal approach!

Kimberly said...

So glad to hear you are feeling better today. It is hard to keep your spirits up when frustration with progress and pain are constant companions. This too shall pass...this too shall pass...repeat as needed. I have to say that 60% is great so soon after surgery!!!!

Kay said...

I'm so glad you're a bit better today. I remember when I was having my first child and the doctor said I would be experiencing a little discomfort during the birth. I'm glad your doctor was honest.

Purple Flowers said...

I am so glad you feel better. My Mother always says to take things day by day, and I think she's right. A hot bowl of soup may also make you feel better today with the wet snow you (we) are expecting today. Take good care.

Forsythia said...

YAY! So glad.

I'm With Stupid said...

When I hurt my back I hit the same "it's not going to get any better" wall. Getting out in the sun and doing things that made me happy really did help. Also, watching my favorite movies, tv shows and listening to music I love helped. Oh and having a pizza to cheer myself up too. ha! ;-)

Jay

Anonymous said...

Don't be embarrassed by your post. I love that you are open, honest enough to share with us. Blogging buddies are more than just fair-weather friends and we are all rooting for you. Hope you were able to get out for your PT session this afternoon. I'm sure there will be more days like this ahead but keep your eye on the prize and you will get through (and it will be worth all that you are having to go through right now)

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

It actually makes me shiver a little when I think about how they do a knee replacement! Great that you were able to get around...gotta love the medical equipment that lets us do these things.

I always feel better if I actually voice or write my frustration, even if the source is still spewing forth fresh all the while!

Hope you feel a little better each day!

(GBS) NewsFromTheHill said...

Keep the faith! You WILL be mobile again soon and then the pain from the old knee will be gone!! Everybody needs to vent; I love that you took your own advice!
Joe had hip replacement several years ago. He couldn't take a step without a cane pre surgery. Seriously not even a step. His new hip has given him his life back... I can't imagine what his life would have been like without the option. I hope you'll feel the same way about your knee soon, but til then keep letting us know how you're doing and you can grouse anytime! There are lots of sympathetic ears here!!
Grace

(GBS) NewsFromTheHill said...

Keep the faith! You WILL be mobile again soon and then the pain from the old knee will be gone!! Everybody needs to vent; I love that you took your own advice!
Joe had hip replacement several years ago. He couldn't take a step without a cane pre surgery. Seriously not even a step. His new hip has given him his life back... I can't imagine what his life would have been like without the option. I hope you'll feel the same way about your knee soon, but til then keep letting us know how you're doing and you can grouse anytime! There are lots of sympathetic ears here!!
Grace

George said...

I'm glad you are doing a little better and could get out and about somewhat.

LM said...

My husband had both knees replaced (5 months apart). He is a tower of strength and high pain tolerance. The therapy and recovery about did him in. I understand what you are going through...after being his caregiver. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

LM said...

My husband went through two knee replacement surgeries (5 months apart). He is a tower of strength and has a high tolerance for pain. The recovery and therapy from these surgeries about did him in. As his caregiver, I understand what you are going through. Prayers for a speedy recovery to you.

Mage said...

Sounds like you are doing so much better. Hurrah. I believe with that attitude, you will get better fast.

Linda Reeder said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing better.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Kathy, I'm glad you are doing a little better. It will just take some time.. There's that old nasty word again: PATIENCE....

Prayers and Hugs for YOU,
Betsy

Lena said...

So glad to hear that you are doing better!! I remember how much pain I had from laproscopic surgery so I can only imagine what kind of pain you are in.

Getting out always does wonders when recovering.

Your other post was so honest and real, nothing to be embarassed about.

Thanks for checking in with us!!

Cheryl said...

I'm glad that you're honest with how you're feeling. We really wouldn't want you to just sugar-coat things. You should say how you feel! I hope this is your last surgery ever!

I'm really looking forward to seeing you. I was able to add 30 minutes to your haircut. Yay!

Gilly said...

Oh Kathy! Knees are a real pain!!! But pleased to hear there is improvement. Keep going, we are all praying and thinking of you!