About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Late Summer Trimmings

Here in Central Maryland, we are well into August of this very wet and sultry summer.  The good news is that everything is green, but that green may very well be algae.  

We've stopped watering our container plants, continued to fertilize, and since this is the time when plants tend to get 'leggy' and stop producing flowers, everyone got a trim.  This will encourage growth from the core.  Hopefully.

I've also pulled out all the leggy zinnias and re-planted seeds.  I'm hoping to have flowers in October.

Within the last four months, I've switched from a PC to Apple, and I'm still not able to post pictures from my iPad.  You'd think it would be easy.  It probably is, but I'm not yet able to figure it out.  Everyone keeps telling me it's intuitive, but evidently I'm not that smart.

3 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

I'e done a lot of cutting back here too in the perennial beds.
We could use some of your rain. We have had about one inch since May and the west is on fire. The air here in Seattle is thick with smoke even as the hot, dry weather continues.

Sally Wessely said...

Good to see you post. I am late in seeing it. I have a hard time posting photos from my iPad also. Not sure I have ever been successful.

Your gardens must be lovely. Zinnias are so beautiful until they are not. I used to cut them back, but then I realized that it was better to just pull them out and plant something else. Gardens are a lot of work, but they brings such joy. I miss having a place to plant large flower gardens.

Cobalt Violet said...

I have a mac but not an iPad. I always wondered if you could post from an iPad. did you ever work it out? maybe at the apple store they could tell you?