About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Thursday, June 6, 2019

While At The Mercy of Others



Walking into the Johns Hopkins Cancer Center was both humbling and scary, but I was greeted immediately by one of their many concierges.  He took both my hands and said, "You're new here; we're going to take very good care of you."  He directed me to a registrar who confirmed my information and gave me a badge to wear.  The badge had a GPS chip in it; my doctor knew I was there and how long I would be waiting, and if I wanted to, could sit in their cafe, and the doctor's assistant would come and get me.  Amazing.

My surgery went well.  The surgeon was able to extract clear margins, and the seminal node is clear.  I'll start radiation in a couple of weeks; chemo is a remote possibility.  I'll also do hormonal suppressant therapy for five years.  Those treating me were competent and compassionate.  I am beholden to them.

I'm well.  I'm happy.  I'm blessed.


"To laugh often and much;
to win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
to know even one life has breathed easier
because you lived here.
This is to have succeeded."

from ROBIN by David Itzkoff taken from Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 comments:

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

So sorry you had to go through this, but glad that you are doing well. I'm sending positive thoughts for a speedy and complete recovery. Take care!

Sally Wessely said...

You were well taken care of before the surgery. That speaks volumes. I’m so happy to read this good report. The poem is perfect. Blessings.

Linda Reeder said...

You hae made it through much already. You now know the course ahead. All is well.
I love this quote. I strive to live up to that standard.

Forsythia said...

Happy to hear this news. Husband went through radiation for prostate cancer at Hopkins five years ago. There was a wonderful volunteer who spent time in the radiation unit every day talking to the people who were there for treatment, and also the spouses, relatives, friends who accompanied them. He also brought cookies every day. The group became like a family during those weeks.