About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

THE CHRISTMAS CARD PROJECT

I do a lot of thinking while doing jigsaw puzzles and I complete a lot of puzzles.  My latest seedling came in the form of  -- oh hell, why don't I just get to it.

I send Christmas cards.  Not necessarily to those who send to us, but to folks I want to wish a Merry Christmas.  (Gone are the days when I kept track and sent only to those who sent greetings to us.  I send cards to those I want to let know we're thinking of them.)

What if, after all  the cards on my list were sealed, stamped, and mailed, I made a new list of all those who have slighted, somehow hurt our feelings, even cognizantly so,  (I'm not including those who've committed serious crimes, not that there are many times, if any, I've been victimized; that might not be a good idea -- for lots of reasons) and sent them cards with heartfelt greetings. 

I don't intend to make these folks feel badly, well not real badly, but it might awaken in them an epiphany.  But more than seeking a response in someone else, I think this might affect me more.  

1 comment:

Forsythia said...

That's a beautiful idea--another one that would make the world a kinder, better place. I say "another" because I got hooked on a "Slow TV" show on Netflix about a group of Norwegian spinners and knitters who were trying to break some kind of world record for finishing a sweater. They failed to oust the Aussies, but one of the things they said was that the world would be a kinder and better place if more people took up knitting.