About Me

My photo
I am a retired English teacher and department head, the mother of three grand mother of four, and have been married to the same man for 52 years. I subscribe to Dr. PM Forni's concept of Civility. I was born in South Philadelphia and grew up in the 'burbs. I love soft pretzels and cheesesteaks, the Phillies, the Eagles, and San Diego. I love being Mom, Aunt Kathy, Nona Kathy, and Teacher. I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the spring and summer, and in the winter I plan what I'm going to plant. I also am an avid reader and photographer.

Translator!

Sunday, June 30, 2024

IT'S OKAY, HON

A good friend was lamenting an experience they had had at a local restaurant, where the server was overly affectionate, call them "Honey, Dear, Sweetheart..."

And while I agree that this is a little over the top, I wonder if the use of these terms of endearment is perhaps not such a bad thing.  Granted too much can be sickening, but an occasional "Hon" or "Dear" isn't that overstepping... Is it?  

We're living in a time when vulgarity, name calling, and hate in speech seem to be the norm.  Is it so bad to temper the anger with a little sweetness?

Miriam Margoles OBE is a British actress -- often salty-mouthed and cutting, frequently shocking.   Recently I heard her speak on the use of non gender- indicating pronouns.  She was bristling at having to use "they" or "them" and also found it confusing.  (I, too, while not feeling as strongly, find the use of the plural pronouns a bit baffling.  Chalk that up to my teaching English for so many years).

Upon some introspection, however, she realized that this is such a miniscule issue.  Furthermore, and most importantly, if it makes someone happy, why not?

Why not, indeed?



 

No comments: